Blessed is he that reads, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand. (Revelation 1:3 AKJV)
The Apostle John was confined to an island by the leaders of his time and wrote the Book of Revelation during his confinement. It begins with a blessing for those who hear and “keep” the things written within this book. The Greek word tereo translated “keep” means to “attend to carefully.” That is what we are doing here today.
But that when the days come when the trumpet call of the seventh angel is about to be sounded, then God’s mystery (His secret design, His hidden purpose), as He had announced the glad tidings to His servants the prophets, should be fulfilled (accomplished, completed). (Revelation 10:7 AMPC)
The Greek word for mystery is mysterion and it means “a hidden or secret thing, not obvious to the understanding.” Only in His time, by His spirit, can we understand it. It isn’t necessary or even possible to understand all of what is written in Revelation until God reveals it or possibly while it is happening.
We can examine many of the prophecies in this book and say “perhaps it means” this or that, but in many cases it will be a “theory” until God brings the truth. If our theory differs from yours, I hope you can agree to disagree until God’s truth comes.
We have looked at six of the seals that will be broken by the Lamb of God. The seventh seal contains seven trumpets.
And when He had opened the seventh seal, there was silence in Heaven about the space of half an hour. And I saw the seven angels which stood before God; and to them were given seven trumpets. (Revelation 8:1-2 AKJV)
There will be a brief pause between the breaking of the seventh seal and the trumpets. This may indicate a period of time where nothing is occurring on Earth. Since a “day is like a thousand years”, the thirty minutes could be weeks or years. We will look for more clues as to what this means as we continue studying Revelation.
A trumpet heralds something coming, in this case, it is the wrath of God. As we look at the trumpets, we need to remember that these are “mysteries” of God.
The first angel sounded, and there followed hail and fire mingled with blood and they were cast on the Earth: and the third part of trees was burnt up, and all green grass was burnt up. (Revelation 8:7 AKJV)
The first trumpet releases something from Heaven that physically impacts the Earth. We know this because there are physical consequences. In whatever way this appears, it is the after effect that we will recognize.
- ⅓ of the trees are burned
- All the grass is destroyed
For now, we can place the 1st trumpet after the seals, during the second half of the three and a half year timeline. The half hour of silence in Heaven means that this will occur at least a year later. Examining the other trumpets may help us further pinpoint what this trumpet may be and when it may occur. For now we will place it past the midpoint of the Tribulation.
And the second angel sounded, and as it were a great mountain burning with fire was cast into the sea: and the third part of the sea became blood; And the third part of the creatures which were in the sea, and had life, died; and the third part of the ships were destroyed. (Revelation 8:8-9 AKJV)
A “great mountain burning with fire cast into the sea” is most likely a meteor hitting the earth because once again, we see the effects of these physical consequences after the blowing of this trumpet.
- ⅓ of the sea life dies
- ⅓ of all ships are destroyed
The Pacific Ocean comprises 42% of the total surface of all of Earth’s oceans. The Atlantic Ocean is 23.5% of the world’s ocean surfaces and only holds 23.3% of the Earth’s ocean waters. This could mean that the asteroid may hit the Pacific Ocean, but it could also hit the Indian Ocean and thereby affect the Pacific and Southern Oceans.
If we re-examine the 1st trumpet in light of this one, the earlier trumpet could be small meteorites which hit before the large one. A temporary placement of this trumpet is after the 1st trumpet, but a specific location is impossible to determine within these scriptures.
And the third angel sounded, and there fell a great star from heaven, burning as it were a lamp, and it fell on the third part of the rivers, and on the fountains of waters; And the name of the star is called Wormwood: and the third part of the waters became wormwood; and many men died of the waters, because they were made bitter. (Revelation 8:10-11 AKJV)
One meteorite falling to earth is not likely to affect ⅓ of all rivers. This is most likely metaphoric and geographically highly unlikely. Going back to the original language will help us understand these scriptures:
- Star: aster - the same word defined elsewhere as an angel (Revelation 1:20). In Biblical times, stars were up in the heavens and man didn’t understand what they were - they were unreachable.
- Burning: kaio - the writer of this book also used this word to describe John the Baptist; a light to show the way (John 5:35)
- Lamp: lampas - implied to mean one fed by oil. This same word is used to speak in the parable of the ten virgins where the oil was the Holy Spirit.
- Fell: pipto - to descend from a higher place to a lower. Used with aster to describe Satan and his minions being kicked out of Heaven (Revelation 1:20).
- Wormwood: apsinthion - at the time this was written, wormwood was a bitter, poisonous herb a lot like hemlock.
By looking at the original language, we can see that Wormwood is used as the name and the job of an angel which carries an anointing from God to cause great harm. The effects seen are:
- ⅓ of all rivers and springs become “bitter” or poisonous
We may not know exactly what happens however, there are a few possibilities that come to mind.
- If several nuclear power plants melt down like Chernobyl, the fallout may turn many waters poisonous. The radiation would have no taste and could kill many people.
- Scientists claim that the meteorite which hits in the prior trumpet has poisoned the ocean. The impact in the ocean would then vaporize creating “acid rain” which could poison rivers and springs.
- The angel may release something from the spiritual realm which we may not see.
Besides these three, God may do something completely unexpected. The only fact is that one third of all rivers and springs will be poisoned.
And the fourth angel sounded, and the third part of the sun was smitten, and the third part of the moon, and the third part of the stars; so as the third part of them was darkened, and the day shone not for a third part of it, and the night likewise. (Revelation 8:12 AKJV)
When the sun, moon and stars are darkened, it indicates debris in the atmosphere from the prior trumpets. There is a definite pattern here. One-third of the oceans, fish, boats, and now much of the sky is lost or destroyed because one-third of the sun is blocked. There is a consistent area affected by these trumpets, not the entire world, but a part of it. Without sunlight on ⅓ of the earth, food production will be greatly affected. There will be much hardship from this trumpet.
Science and the Bible
Looking at all four of these trumpets together and applying science to what we have seen happen thus far, we may be able to discern what may take place:
- First Trumpet: “hail, fire, mingled with blood” hits the Earth.
- Small meteorites hit the Earth.
- This would cause a tremendous heat wave.
- all the grass and ⅓ of the trees were burned up.
- Fire creates pollution.
- Pollution impacts the ozone layer around the Earth which protects us from UV rays.
- Second Trumpet: a huge meteor, the size of a mountain will strike the ocean
- Chains of Tsunamis and crustal shifting
- According to Nick Strobel from the Astronomy Department at Bakersfield College, the following will occur if a meteorite lands in the sea: heat from the shock wave of the entering asteroid and reprocessing of the air close to the impact produces nitric and nitrous acids over the next few months to one year
- N2 + O2 ‚> NO
- (molecular nitrogen combined with molecular oxygen produces nitrogen monoxide)
- 2NO + O2 ‚> 2NO2
- (two nitrogen monoxide molecules combined with one oxygen molecule produces two nitrogen dioxide molecules)
- NO2 is converted to nitric and nitrous acids when it is mixed with water.
- This means that acid rain is created.
- Third Trumpet: ⅓ of all rivers and springs poisoned
- by the acid rain
- Fourth Trumpet: Nick’s website states: “The ozone layer will be destroyed by O3 reacting with NO… All of the dust in the air from the impact and soot from the fires will block the sun...”
Trumpets one through four must occur within one year of each other. Trumpets three and four are a chain reaction of trumpets one and two. We can now place trumpets one through four in a tight group a distance from the seventh seal.
Is there anything that could adequately prepare us for these announcements of the coming wrath of God? If we are listening to God and know His ways, we will be able to lean on Him for protection and provision. I can think of no better way to prepare than to strengthen my relationship with my Father who is in Heaven.
In our next article, we will discuss the last three trumpets which will make these events look like a walk in the park!
More Articles on the Courts of Heaven can be found in the:
Courts of Heaventab in the menu at the top.
Believers' Boot Camp series
Many people think of boot camp as a place you train for combat. Any veteran will tell you that basic training is about three things:
- Knowing what weapons are available
- Learning how to use those weapons
- Receiving orders and following them
Volume 1: Why Doesn't God Speak to Me?
Eager hearts cry out, hoping for a single word to confirm that He hears us. Yet, many times the only sound is silence. Over the years I have heard several reasons why God speaks to some and not to others. One night, as I tossed and turned, I brought each of these reasons before the Lord, stating why each of them did not line up with who I thought He was.
Words rose from my soul, pleading for Him to reveal why He has remained silent when a single word from Him would mean so much to so many. For the next few hours, God used things I learned about years ago and things I had just discovered to show why He talks to some and why He doesn’t, and in demonstrative ways.
In His grace, He also showed me how people could hear more from Him. Basic instructions on how to hear more from God and how to be led by Him are included in this book. Thank you for taking time to consider the answers I received and share with you now.
Keys to Authority for Every Believer
There is untapped power that is easy for every Christian to access in the form of authority. The keys to this authority will unlock weapons we can use to free ourselves from the attacks of the enemy. We must be intimately aware of the bounds and limitations of our weapon if they are to be used effectively.
Find out about your authority:
- Why you need it.
- Where it comes from.
- What you can do with it.
- How to get more.
- Why you need it.
- Where it comes from.
- What you can do with it.
- How to get more.