Noah – 2014
Satan’s Side of the Story
In almost every conflict, there are two sides who think they are justified in their actions. For those of us who are Christians, God’s side of the story can be found in the Bible. Have you ever wondered what Lucifer, the Arch Angel, that Old Dragon, Satan himself, would say about what occurred in the Garden of Eden and the years following? Wonder no longer. Hollywood brings to you Satan’s side of the story in the 2014 movie Noah.
A certain amount of discrepancy can be expected when Hollywood puts out a movie that is based on a book. I went to the show on opening weekend expecting it not to be biblically accurate. I was not disappointed. Of course there were changes to the storyline to make it more suitable for the big screen:
|Noah's family as the ark leaves|
- It took 10 years to build the ark – In the Bible it was 100.
- Noah’s father died when he was a young boy – According to Genesis, Lamech lived 595 years after Noah was born.
- Noah’s children were still kids when the ark was built – Weren’t they grown men with wives (yes, the wives went on the ark, too)?
- No one, not Noah nor Cain’s descendants, could talk to God – He was an absentee parent. The Bible tells us that Noah walked with and fellowshipped with God.
- Noah didn’t gather food for his family and the animals for the journey. Instead he used incense to put the animals into a deep sleep…for nine months! (I’d like to know how they survived without an IV!)
I could see that changing these things helped make the movie more relatable to a modern day audience and it also increased the drama. What surprised me was that I could list the things that were Biblically accurate on one hand:
- Adam and Eve ate from a forbidden tree causing the ground to be cursed as they were kicked out of the garden.
- Noah and his wife with their three sons built an ark to hold two of every creature.
- God flooded the Earth because of the wickedness of man – only Noah, his family, and the animals survived.
- Noah made wine and got drunk when the ark landed.
That’s it. Nothing else was according to the Word of God. Leave it to Hollywood to let someone write the screenplay that had only heard Bible stories as a kid and didn’t know anything else about God. What added fuel to the flames were the other things added to the story.
I can clearly picture that Old Dragon whispering in someone’s ear, dictating how the story should be told.
|Watcher - Fallen Angel|
Satan’s Side of the Story:
When God threw man out of the garden and cursed the ground, it was a cruel fate. A group of angels took
pity on man and came to earth to help. Because these angels acted against God’s will, they were cursed (they looked like giant rock monsters). These fallen angels were called Watchers. These Watchers tried to help man, but because of man’s greedy, evil nature, we destroyed the earth.
This is a joke, right? Fallen angels are here to help man? The Bible tells us that when God created man, Lucifer, the most beautiful of all God’s angels, was not happy. Because we were called God’s children, it put us above the angels in the chain of command. Angles are servants, we are heirs. That means they would have to bow to us as they did to God.
“What is man that you are mindful of him?” Satan asked. “I could be as a god to him!” According to scripture, Satan rallied angels to him and headed for Earth to prove his point: