Woman Warrior – an Afghanistan Veteran – Fights for Justice for ALL Women in the USA
By Lynn Hardy
Mark Jernigan, the only DA in Roscommon County, Michigan, told Kelly Lowe, "No jury will convict this man of rape when you (Kelly) left your husband and two boys at home to go out drinking with your sister."
Kelly asked, "Are you saying that if a married woman goes out and gets drunk without her husband that she deserves to be raped?"
The prosecuting attorney chuckled and said nothing.
Despite the compelling evidence, Kelly is refused a trial:
- Rape kit verifies assault
- Blood on clothes because Kelly punched him in the nose
- Eye witnesses who came running when they heard Kelly yell and saw the rapist running from the room with a bloody nose
- The rapist confesses as the police record the conversation
- The lieutenant of the reporting officer asks the DA to prosecute